Tuesday, July 6, 2010

3 More Sleeps. Not that I'm counting.


     Well folks only 3 more sleeps and I am on a plane to Peru.  I received my 50lb hockey bag full of glasses cases this morning. I knew I was in trouble when I saw the FedEx man dragging it across the lawn this morning and he was not a small man.I mean he looked like he had muscles. I wonder what the charge is going to be for me to check it at the airport? I am not really sure what I am worried about. I should be in the best shape of my life, I am about to climb a Mountain.

     You may be asking yourself how does one train to climb a mountain like Machu Picchu? This is a question I think I should have been asking myself 6 months ago. Well in January I bought myself a gym membership. Word to the wise January is a really good month to get a gym membership because they always have great deals for all those people that get gym membership for their New Year’s resolution. Ok so back to my training. On a good week I would go to the gym 4 to 5 times for 2hrs. I did a lot of walking on the treadmill at an incline of 15, lifting weights and swimming. But as of this last Thursday I have come to the realization that it may not have been enough.

   On Canada Day I let a friend of mine convince me to go on a hike. I have now learned that it is very important to use Google. I had no clue what I was getting myself into. A little hike turned into a 61/2 hr hike. Lets just say the old lungs where gasping for air. It was one of the scariest hikes I have ever done. There was one part where we had to hold on to a cable and shimmy our way around part of the mountain.  But I did make it out in one piece although my feet have seen better days. It might have been a good idea to do a little more hiking in those boots of mine. Oh well it’s to late know. Let’s just say I have packed a lot of Band-Aids, and what Band-Aids won’t fix duct tape will.

  I am an eager beaver and am already packed. I think I have every thing? I have one pair of socks, one pair of underwear, my camera so I think I am good to go. Oh wait I can’t forget about my passport. That’s a lie I have way more then that packed in my backpack. I think I could service anything that comes my way, I am that over packed. I think that’s the good thing about being packed 3 days in advance I can spend the next 2 days unpacking things that I am not really going to need.

   I am all ready to go. All I need now is prayer. If you think of me anytime over the next three weeks please say a prayer for me. I ask that you pray that God will open the hearts of the people in Peru and that we will see them come to know God. Pray for the safety of our team, for flights and health.

   I look forward to sharing this journey with you and hope you enjoy reading about what’s going on. I am still working on the how to get more pictures on here, so hopefully you can see some of what I am doing. I will write again in a few days from the great city of Cuzco.

Hasta luego

1 comment:

Krista said...

I love your blog Danielle!!! What a good idea! Joe and I will definitely be praying for you... we are so excited for you and will be praying that God does amazing things in your life and in the life of the Peruvians you come in contact with! Love, Joe & Krista