Saturday, July 24, 2010

Lions and Monkeys and Parrots Oh MY!!

July 17-18/2010 Cusco Peru

I went to the jungle this weekend with Jenna, her Dad Ken, Jenny and Florance. It was the most amazing time in the jungle I have ever had. Oh wait it was my first time in the jungle so of course it was amazing.
The ride to the jungle was 10hrs, just enough time to take a few graval. We friday afternoon so that we could have more time in the jungel and not spend all our time driving.
The only road in and out of the jungle is just a little wider then the van that we were tracelling in. One the one side of the road is mountain and on the other side was a giant drop, were most of the time you couldn´t see the bottom. For most of, if not all of the drive I slept because my nerves couldn´t handle the winding road and the vehicles that were coming towards us. Remember the road was really only wide enough for one car. Let´s just say I don´t have any nails left. I really would like to say that it was the gravel that was making me sleep and that I have nerves of steal.
The first night we staying in this little shake that was frezzing cold. I know that I live in Canada where it is winter most of the time but I have never been as cold as I was that night. We were told that it was really warm in the jungle but it just happened that the weekend that we went to the jungle was one of the coldest weekends they have ever had. Because we were told that is was going to be warm I didn´t pack that many warm clothes so that night I think I wore everything that I packed. I had 2 longsleeve shirts, 2 t-shirts, a sweater, leggings, a pair of pants, and 2 pairs of socks. I was a little worried that I wouldn´t wake up and the we would freeze to death. I think I only got a few hours of sleep that night.
The next day we had a short drive to another small town and once there we took a small boat to our lodges aka little huts that were in the middle of no where. The huts were the cutties little things.
We spent most of the weekend walking through the jungle seeing all kinds of animals. There were monkeys climing right above us and all kinds of birds. I keeped thinking to myself, ¨I can´t believe I am walking through the jungle right now¨. During one of our hikes we came along a tree that had a great swinging vine on it. So we did what Tarzane would do if he saw this vine. Thats right I went swinging on a vine in the jungle. I am not going to lie I was a little scared because I actualy got pretty high but I am so glad I did it.
The drive home was about the same as the drive into the jungle so again I slept most of the way. Other then the drive it was a great weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like so much fun Dano. So glad you're getting to experience this. You're a braver woman that I darlin!!
-Christine